Re: Next Release Status

Am 08.11.2011 18:50, schrieb Keith Seitz:
> Hi,
>
> Given some demand, I am planning on doing an official release of Insight
> sometime just after the GDB 7.4 release (process starting soon).
>
> My primary goals for this release (largely just an update/bugfixes) are
> that it build/work on Linux (my platform), MinGW, and Cygwin.
>
> I spent some time this weekend rummaging around the sources attempting
> to get this stuff working. Here's a little status report on my progress.
>
> Linux: builds and runs okay. Found a memory corruption bug in the
> register window (affects all hosts). Needs to be fixed before release.
>
> MinGW: Had patches lying around to get build working, but I forgot. So I
> re-invented the wheel. No big deal. I will check these in. There is,
> however, a startup problem with libgui on this platform. It complains
> about being unable to find pkgIndex.tcl. Hopefully, not too painful to fix.
>
> Cygwin: This is the nightmare. Tcl et al are completely broken. Instead
> of using my ancient Windows 2000 box, I have installed a VM on my linux
> box and put a modern Windows installation in there. Now I see all the
> problems that people have reported throughout the years that I could
> never reproduce! Example: conflicts with winsock & Cygwin's posix layer.
> Ouch. Currently, this is the only platform for which I do not have a
> working build.

That's been the status quo ever since Cygwin 1.7.0 got released.

> I hope over the next few weeks, leading up to the GDB 7.4 release, to
> get these problems resolved. If you'd like to help (especially with
> Cygwin!), please let me know.
>
> If anyone has any other peeves or important bugs, please also let me
> know, and I will try to address them before this next release.

My idea is to contact the Cygwin mailing list (which is read by the
maintainers).  Tell them your plans and ask for help with Tcl/Tk.  I
suppose you'll hear "sorry, no maintainer" though.  And tell them that
you need Tcl/Tk with POSIX-style networking.