Re: Next Release Status

On 12/15/2011 06:22 AM, Bahadir Balban wrote:
Hi Keith/Christopher,

         Actually, I've been able to build this without much effort.  I just
         don't like the current state of affairs wrt cygwin tcl/tk and insight so
         I haven't been motivated to make a release.

Would you please share instructions on how to build Insight against GDB-7.x?

Insight *is* gdb: they both live in the same executable. To build Insight against GDB X.Y, just grab source from that genre and build it. Or grab the insight bits and stick it into the source tree.

I will be doing an official insight release shortly after gdb releases 7.4.

We are using it in fashion of ICE debugging with QEMU and gdb-6.8 seem
to have debug issues with recent toolchains. I would appreciate a new
release.

6.8 is ancient. Please use something newer. Just checkout CVS/GIT HEAD and build it. That's what I've been using for over ten years, and I seldom have any problems.

The other 2 options to Insight that we have seen are DDD and Eclipse. I
think neither are good replacements. Insight is just very fast and
easier to use than both.

I agree. ;-)

We don't use cygwin at all. Plain debugging of a remote QEMU ARM target
in linux.

Then you're in good shape, since I run Fedora locally, and linux pretty much always works.