Re: Problem with define-private

>>> Jocelyn Paine <popx@pop3.ifs.org.uk> 30-Jan-01 5:18:49 PM >>>

>Ah. Does this also explain the problem with define-alias
>that I mentioned in the other mail this morning, or was that
>something else? And also the fact that 'require' doesn't seem
>to work with loaded files?

Since (define-private) has .class semantics and the interpreter is
not compiling the source code to a class: yes.

You don't need (require) because having the required module in the
interpreter's classpath will cause things to be loaded (as far as I've
seen).

(require) doesn't cause an error in the interpreter though so you
don't have to comment it out or anything.

>What do those developing in Kawa do about the difference
>between source and compiled code?

I use emacs and my own kawa-mode (derived from Paul Kinnucan's JDE
mode) which allows me to quickly change classpaths and destination
directories so that I can compile and run but  also just interpret
(using the classpath for my project).

I've been meaning to post the kawa-mode for some time but my website
is in the middle of major revamp and it won't get done till that's
finished. When I've posted it I'll send a message here.

>At the moment, I'm using it for a new project in which
>I'm working on several different modules (and the Java
>classes they use) simultaneously, still trying to arrive at
>more than a tentative structure for each.

You mean you haven't created a firm design for the code before you
start?!!???!

Shame on you.

Sherioushly though: I haven't found a really good way to resolve this
issue. I tend to develop small procs in the interpreter (faking input)
and then plug them into my modules which I compile and debug in the
usual way.

Since we don't have a debugger for Kawa yet, Per's dump class is a
pretty valuable debugging tool.

It is a pain but there has been talk of interfacing GDB to Kawa so
that compiled modules can be debugged properly; though I think that
the Per's planned module changes will have to happen first.

>(Not that I'm complaining: I'm very glad to have Kawa as an
>alternative to Java and to the less portable functional languages.)

Absolutely!

Nic Ferrier