Build (newest) problems under Cygwin 1.6

These are both duplicates of an earlier message from last
August, but I have a possible solution to one of them.

"col" is still missing, so the doc build cannot go.
Not a large problem, though it messes up the by-the-book
installation.

The Cygwin classpath problem remains in the gnu.* packages.
I worked around this by changing the definition from

CLASSPATH_ENV = CLASSPATH=$(JAVAROOT):$(srcdir)/$(JAVAROOT):$$CLASSPATH

CLASSPATH_ENV = CLASSPATH=\"$(JAVAROOT)\;$(srcdir)/$(JAVAROOT)\;$$CLASSPATH\"

Forward slashes work just fine on java on Windows -- the question,
instead, is whether the escaped semicolons work as well under Unix.
If so, then we have a general solution.  I don't have a Unix box
handy, but it shouldn't be hard to test -- just try something like

CLASSPATH=.\;HelloDir java Hello

in the parent directory of HelloDir which contains Hello.class,
compiled from Hello.java:

class Hello {
    System.out.println("Hello World");
}}