Re: Additional makefile problems

David Chase <chase@world.std.com> writes:

> If "make" at the top level is instructed where to find
> JAVAC, as in "make JAVAC=/jdk1.3/bin/javac"

The recommended (but probably undocumented) procedure is to specify
JAVAC at configure time.
        JAVAC=/jdk1.3/bin/javac configure
This passes JAVAC as an environment variable to configure.

> it will fail in the subdirectory kawa/lib, where the Makefile
> expects to be able to successfully define JAVAC to be $(KAWA).

I agree this is a kludge.  This has been fixed in the version of
my sources where I'm working on being able to compile Kawa
with Gcj.  (Don't know when I'll be able to check it in, though.)