Re: 'read' not echoing characters

At 12:24 PM 9/16/2001 -0700, Per Bothner wrote:
>Jim White wrote:
>
>>That is something of a FAQ for Kawa.
>>
>>The problem is that SysInPort checks InputStream.available() before
>>trying to read any characters.  But the Windows console reader buffers
>>lines (for the edit functions of course), and so doesn't update that on a
>>per-character basis, and neither does it echo because it doesn't yet know
>>what kind of read the application is going to do.
>
>Ah.  I haven't actually seen that explanation before (that I can recall).

Yeah, I just did a little sleuthing to figure it out just now.  I had
experienced the problem before but hadn't gone in to find out why.

>Maybe it is time to get rid of the whole SysInPort hack.  The code are
>pretty old, and
>seems to be work-arounds for problems that I hope Sun has fixed by now!
>My requriement is to be able to start a scheme-window  and/or a JEmacs
>window while
>still being able to use the console's read-eval-print-loop.  I guess it
>should not be too
>dofficult to test that,  though we might need some testing from people
>stuck on
>old JVMs before we make a decision.

I would have jumped right on to that, but I've got some other urgent things
to do and I already have the Ant build pending as my next thing to finish
for Kawa.

jim

James P. White                 Netscape DevEdge Champion for IFC
IFC Exchange   *   Insanely great Java   *   http://www.ifcx.org
jim@pagesmiths.com Pagesmiths' home is http://www.pagesmiths.com