Re: IDE?

randal.sims@srs.gov wrote:

> How do people develop Kawa projects ... command line, (X)Emacs, etc?
> Has anyone taken a look at extending Eclipse at www.eclipse.org?

Eclipse looks interesting, but I don't know how much is actuality and
how much is potential.

While glancing through the documents I notice that they have a Standard
Widget Toolkit that includes some editor with styled text support.
It occurs to me that it might be worthwhile re-targeting JEmacs
to use SWT instead of Swing.  Potential benefits:
- Does not depend on non-free Swing code.
- May be easier to debug - Swing is complex, does non-obvious
things, and the non-Free-ness makes it hard to figure out what
is going on (at least for me, since I don't want to look at Swing
source code).
- Possibly faster and/or reduced memory use.
- Could run under GCJ.

However, I don't know if SWT supports the needed model/view
separation needed for Emacs (to separate buffer and window).