Re: IDE?

>   (rather than AWT's proxy approach they have a thin JNI layer that
> simply maps the OS's GUI API to Java and then all the rest of the
> platform specific code is in Java).

If it's not pure Java it has a bunch of practical problems in the real
world.

> The idea that any free Java will have Swing is very unlikely.  Due to
> Sun's licensing, the massive size of Swing, the impracticality of
> implementing from the API or spec,

That sounds absurdly pessimistic to me. Much more difficult projects
than this have come to fruition such as WINE and Lesstif.

> and Swing's terribly bad performance

JBuilder is Swing and is plenty fast enough.

 > (which is limited by its design and will not be getting any faster)

Every time Intel releases a new chip it gets faster.

>  impossible to develop the quality GUI applications that the market
> demands in Swing, it can't be done on top of AWT at all,

JBuilder is not a quality GUI application?