kawa verification questions / was: Best way to produce .exe files for Windows Kawa apps (fwd)

At 06:56 PM 4/26/2002 +0100, Jocelyn Paine wrote:
>I'm probably the only person using Kawa for Windows, so perhaps shouldn't
>expect replies to this, but ... I've been developing a spreadsheet
>compiler/decompiler using Kawa, which is to run under Windows (all
>versions) so that its output can be loaded into Excel. I'm hoping soon to
>distribute demo copies at a conference, and wondering what the best way to
>package them is.

I was doing a quick run of Kawa through our (NaturalBridge)
system to check compatibility, and discovered that kawa.jar
contains classfiles with invalid package names.  For example:

  kawa-1.6.97.=build.gnu.text.PadFormat

VM class and package names are subject to the same rules as the
Java language.  (If necessary, I'll find the exact sections
in the VM spec, but we've been down this road before, and know
it well). Is this really necessary?

In addition, some of the classes in kawa.jar depend on
javax.servlet.*, and that seems not to be in the 1.3.1
distribution (it is available from other places -- the
Volano benchmark, for example).  However, the version
included with Volano (which is old) seems to be slightly
incompatible or out of rev.  It would be helpful if the
installation instructions specified where to get these
extra classes from, and what version.

Despite all this, when all the compiling is done, it does
still seem to be Lisp, or Lisp-like.  (This is actually
not too surprising -- Jar files often include unintended
junk that "isn't right", in one way or another.)

yours,

David Chase
(david.chase@naturalbridge.com)