Re: kawa verification questions / was: Best way to produce .exe files for Windows Kawa apps (fwd)

David Chase wrote:
> I was doing a quick run of Kawa through our (NaturalBridge)
> system to check compatibility, and discovered that kawa.jar
> contains classfiles with invalid package names.  For example:
>
>   kawa-1.6.97.=build.gnu.text.PadFormat

Ouch.  This is because the Makefile rule that creates the
.jar file accidentally picks up the .class files left
over from a previous 'make distcheck' in *addition* to
the desired classes.  So we get both  gnu/text/PadFormat.class
and kawa-1.6.97/=build/gnu/text/PadFormat.class.

I'll fix the make rule.

> VM class and package names are subject to the same rules as the
> Java language.  (If necessary, I'll find the exact sections
> in the VM spec, but we've been down this road before, and know
> it well). Is this really necessary?

No.

> In addition, some of the classes in kawa.jar depend on
> javax.servlet.*, and that seems not to be in the 1.3.1
> distribution (it is available from other places -- the
> Volano benchmark, for example).  However, the version
> included with Volano (which is old) seems to be slightly
> incompatible or out of rev.  It would be helpful if the
> installation instructions specified where to get these
> extra classes from, and what version.

Well, using servlets is optional.  I figure if you're
interested in using kawa servlets, you'll know how to
get a copy of the servlets classes.  If you're not interested,
it doesn't harm - most people.  Of course if you're trying
to compile kawa.jar to native code (or any other application
where you need to eagerly resolve classes) then its a problem.

Probably the cleanest solution is to not include the classes
that depend on servlets in kawa.jar - on the other hand having
them there is convenient.  I don't know what's best.