Re: Kawa versus SISC

Chris Bitmead wrote:

There has been brief mention of kawa supporting continuations in the future. Would doing that do so much damage to the java memory model that kawa's performance degrades to the same point as SISC? (like full-tail-calls currently cuts performance in half (?)).
It would do some noticable damage. The basic implementation concept is probably some variant
of converting to continuation-passing-style and then using the existing full-atil-call support. The main
cost is presumably that we get a lot more little procedures.

Some of this can be improved by perfornance tuning, better optimization, and tweaking the
calling convention. (Better support for CLOS methods would also require tweaking the
calling convention.) There is a lot of room for performance improvements!

An advantage is that you can write a debugger that uses portable bytecodes, without special
debugger hooks.

How much work would be involved to upgrade Kawa to full r5rs?
I'd love to be able to spend the time to do it. My guess it would take me a month where that
is my primary task, to get an acceptable implemengtation. Perhaps less perhaps more.