Re: Kawa build problem

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 20:28, Per Bothner wrote:
> Chris Bitmead wrote:
> > > Note that building Kawa using configure+make is *not* supported on
> > > Cygwin.
> >
> > Oh ok, that would be the reason then. (would be nice if that was
> > documented).
>
> It is. See http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/Source-distribution.html:
>
>    One method uses the traditional GNU configure script, followed by
>    running make. This works well on Unix-like systems, such as GNU/Linux.
>    It does not work well under Microsoft Windows. (Even when using the
>    CygWin Unix-emulation package there are some problems with file paths.)

I believe the only remaining issue for building Kawa under Cygwin and
Sun JDK is the CLASSPATH problem.

Last time I build it, I have to manually edit six Makefiles, changing
constructs like

CLASSPATH=/some/path:$CLASSPATH

CL=`cygpath --unix --path $CLASSPATH`
CL=/some/path:$CL
CLASSPATH=`cygpath --windows --path $CL`

(and add double quotes at strategic places if your CLASSPATH contains
pathnames that have embedded space in it.)

After that everything builds cleanly, including the C code for readline
support. :)

--
Weiqi Gao
weiqigao@networkusa.net