unquote-splicing confusion

Hi,

When I wrote some macros for generating a lot of make-element/make-attribute
code, I found out some of my quasiquote/unquote-splicings just don't
work as I expected. So I check the Dybvig book's example

 (let ((a 1) (b 2))
  `(,a ,@b))

which should produce (1 . 2).

I ran this through Schemes available to me:

 OK: chicken, MIT scheme, scsh (Gambit-C 4.0), Gambit 3.0, SISC, Scheme48
 FAIL: Kawa, bigloo, guile, mzscheme (2.02), scm5d6

I also checked CMU CL and Clisp, both return the (1 . 2) answer.

With equal number of OK/FAILs, it's difficult for one to write even
correct Scheme code. My question is: what's the correct behavior
of a conformant Scheme compiler/interpreter?

Thanx!

Wen-Chun