Re: Programming environment + kawa question

Dominique Boucher wrote:

1) What kind of programming environment do you use when developing Kawa
code? Personally, I use XEmacs with a number of packages I have
developed over the years. Are there some more Kawa-friendly environments
I don't know and should be aware of? I'm trying to convince my
colleagues to take a look at Scheme, so an Emacs replacement would be
nice (for them, not for me ;-).

I just use XEmacs.

I've taken a look at Eclipse, mainly for developing Kawa itself.
It would be nice to have a "Kawa plugin" for Eclipse, but of course
that's a non-trivial project.  However, something useful (like setting
breakpoints in compiled Scheme code) might not be mush work.

We need to get somebody who knows Eclipse internals excited about Kawa!

2) I am currently developing a wrapper around the Kawa compiler. It
directly calls 'kawa.lang.CompileFile.compile_to_files'. It works great,
except for one thing. When there is an internal error (like trying to
open an undefined class), the 'compile_to_files' method prints the stack
trace and calls System.exit(-1). So my wrapper also aborts. That's
really annoying. Can this be changed?

The big piece of Kawa development I'm currently struggling with is supporting mutually referential modules, focusing on XQuery. In my working code compile_to_files is gone, because I need to interleave compiling a set of modules.

So I suggest you just hack the source code somehow for your internal
needs - for example by copying compile_to_files, and don't worry
about a clean or official solution until my module code stabilizes.