Re: difference between (load "package.foo.bar") and require?

Hi,

Dominique Boucher provided great explanations, thanks!
[explanation omited]

>If you want to access some loaded code from within Kawa
>modules compiled
>using kawa -C, you'll have to use 'eval'.
Oops, nothing else?

I'll try to explain what I want, but first, I'm now wondering how BRL's brl-global.scm contains several require, e.g. (require <gnu.brl.sqlfun>), yet procedures are visible in each .brl and .scm file. Similarly, how can Kawa.jar contain .class and .scm files, all readily available to me??

Also, how comes that BRL's sqlfun.scm doesn't contain a single module export declaration nor plenty of eval, yet require works?

My goal was as follows: like in old fashioned(?) Lisp development, I have a bunch of .scm files. They contain no require, mainly because of bad past experience with it, but also because my old(?) fashion has it that dependencies are recorded somewhere else, e.g. in a system definition file.

This file is trivial so far, it's just (load "f1.scm")(load "f2.scm") etc.

Now I was fed up with with several warnings that would occur during loading of the Scheme files ("no definitively applicable method" etc., all benign) and also hoping for more loading speed.

So I thought: let's compile using
kawa --module-static (seemed right to me) -Pjch. -C f1.scm and then use
(require <jch.f1>)
(require <jch.f2>)

I later changed that to
(load "jch.f1")
(load "jch.f2")

but I'm still having some trouble trying to run this from a web-server (Tomcat). It currently works from the command line.

Using Tomcat, I believe I've trouble with the current directory. The .class files are all in WEB-INF/classes/jch/*.class

Thanks for your help,
	Jorg Hohle.