Re: http://theschemeway.blogspot.com/

Dominique Boucher wrote:

Just for editing Java, how does Eclipse compare to Emacs or XEmacs?

It is REALLY good. I use code completion a lot, so Eclipse saves a lot of
typing. Also, you don't really need to take care of the formatring while you type.
Once in a while, type Control-f and the whole file is reformatted based on your
preferences (and there are lots of them!).

There seems to be a bug which prevents it from indenting "GNU style". At least, it doesn't ident real Kawa code as the "ident" preferences panel says it will.

Another problem is that it doesn't like indenting with tabs if the
tab width is different from the ident amont - this quite confuses it.
Now maybe using tabs isn't a good idea (unless tab width match ident
width), but it is quite common in the GNU/Unix world, and Eclipse
probably should support it.

I've tried tweaking the options, and it's getting there, but for example the "re-indent line on tab" option (which I use all the time in Emacs) doesn't seem to work.

Try Control-i instead. You can also reformat the whole file with Control-f.

That does work, though it's not as convenient. -- --Per Bothner per@bothner.com http://per.bothner.com/