Re: Kawa and Java Web Start

Rafael Jesus Alcantara Perez wrote:
Hi:

I'm using Kawa successfully in a Java Client/Server application, but I have found that when using Java Web Start, it fails in kawa.standard.Scheme#eval (String), throwing the next exception (it seems to me, that only happens with big Scheme strings):

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission createClassLoader)

I have no idea how "big Scheme strings" could be an issue. What could be the issue is Scheme expressions that define lexical scope. This causes Kawa to compile the Scheme expression to bytecode, and then immediately load that bytecode using a ClassLoader.

Mi question is, should it be done in the own Kawa sources?

I'll be happy to consider a patch. However, I know basically nothing about how Java Web Start works with the SecurityManager, so I'm depending on someone with experience to suggest a solution.

We may need to extends the interpreter to handle Scheme code that
defines lexical scopes, in which case eval would not need to generate
bytecode and use a ClassLoader.  (The motivation for this is to be able
to expand syntax-case macros in the same module as theire definition.)
However, this is obviously a non-trivial task.