Re: features inconsistency

Gerardo Horvilleur wrote:
I've been thinking if it wouldn't be better to have a special Java class to represent Kawa symbols instead of java.lang.String.

Kawa has gnu.mapping.Symbol, which it uses for Emacs Lisp, Common Lisp, and colon-prefixed symbols in Scheme.

The master plan is to use gnu.mapping.Symbol for all symbols,
though I'm concerned how much existing code will break.

I believe that using a custom class for Kawa symbols would have the following benefits:

1. No more broken symbol serialization (Java strings are not interned on deserialization).

2. It might simplify the semantics of calling a Java method which returns a String.

I am aware this might not be a trivial change in Kawa's implementation :)

It's not a huge change - I'm more concerned about user applications, and whatever are the appropriate conversion rules. -- --Per Bothner per@bothner.com http://per.bothner.com/