Re: Question regarding procedure compilation

Crystal, Mayer wrote:
I've been using kawa-1.7 for a while it was working well.  I recently
tried to upgrade to 1.8 and received an error during procedure
compilation.  I believe this is due to the updated code in LambdaExp
which makes a call to compileWithPosition.  Essentially, my case is that
I have a string in memory that I wish to compile into a Procedure.  The
compileWithPosition eventually makes a call to getLine() and then tries
to modify the source file.  Since in my case I have no source file, this
throws an NPE.  I have attached a sample piece of code to re-create my
issue and the stack trace that results.  If there is a flag I should be
setting so that it calls compile instead of compileWithPosition, please
let me know.

The problem is you're using internal undoucmented interfaces in a way
they're not meant to be used. For one thing evalToClass needs a bunch
of "stuff" done before it gets called, at least in the current implementation.

Why not just:
  return (Procedure) scheme.eval("(lambda () "+rule+")");

It's not perfect (for one thing a syntax error will display the
wrong column number), but it is simple and documented.