Re: using jar.exe for fun and profit

Vadim Nasardinov wrote:
FWIW, if you have Java installed, you can unpack ZIP archives on
Windows like so:

jar xf kawa-1.9.1-src.zip

because JAR files are just fancied up ZIP files.

Come to think of it, this line of reasoning suggests that the
friendliest way to distribute Kawa is to provide kawa-1.9.1-src.jar.

Yes, I considered that (see http://sources.redhat.com/ml/kawa/2007-q1/msg00031.html ). The downsize is that .zip (.jar) files don't compress as well as tar.gz., so both disk space and more importantly bandwidth would be worse.

Of course, by that argument I should use bz2 compression.
However, I don't believe that is as well supported by automake,
or would that match the GNU standards/recommendations.
(This concern also applies to .zip.)