Re: Strange error output for undefined macros inside macros

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Per Bothner wrote:

Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
Thats really bad. I mentally need low-level macros.

Syntax-case gives you low-level macros.

Thanks, I'm going to read about syntax-case. Right now I have a program that needs to be finished though, so I'm not sure if can grasp the necessary knowledge quick enough.

The specific problem in the link I gave is somewhat specific
about Kawa's colon notation, in which : is used treated specially
by the Scheme reader, and the hacks in Kawa to deal with "legacy"
code which treats : as a symbol constituent.  The compatibility
hack works reasonably well when using hygienic macros - because
working on the level of syntax objects, rather than raw symbols,
provides more information to the macro expander.

Does that mean that as long as I don't use any symbols or variable names which contains colons, I'm safe?

How about the colons in "varname :: <type>"? Can those get screwed up in defmacros?