Re: Performance

I remember that a long time ago, in older versions of the original shootout, Java used to rank really badly until the shootout author made the following changes:

1. Added a Hello World test program to measure startup time.

2. Subtracted the time of the Hello World test from every other result in the comparison table.

I wonder if (a) the new shootout employs a similar method for comparing implementations, (b) given that, whether you're comparing the test runtimes properly.

The new shootout does have the Hello World test as the "startup" example.