Problems with duplicate declarations of modules

I'm having a strange problem when requiring the same module multiple times
across a set of files, which unfortunately I haven't been able to isolate
into a test file. I'm hoping someone may have had a similar problem and know
how to deal with it.

I have a fairly complex project, with roughly 20 .scm files that form a set
of libraries, which are then used by numerous other files. Several of the
library files make use of other library files. Occasionally, when I require
two of these library files, I get errors that there are duplicate
declarations of the files that THEY require. Strangely, commenting out the
requires within those files seems to solve the problem. But then, when I
copy the code over to another machine and run for the first time, I get
errors (understandably) saying that there are undefined procedures (the ones
that were in the commented-out .scm files).

This feels like a bug, but as mentioned I haven't (yet) managed to isolate
it. It also feels like there are some intermediate files being kept around
between runs, otherwise I can't understand why the fresh copy on a new
machine complains about missing definitions, whereas my development machine
does complain about this. However, I don't see any way to do a "clean" to
get my dev machine into the same state as the fresh machine.

Anyone have any similar experiences? Or is it just me? :(

Note that I'm using the latest kawa version from svn, and I'm developing
inside Eclipse using the SchemeWay plugin. I'm working across platforms
(currently MacOS 10.5, Ubuntu 9.04, and Windows XP/Vista), with the same
issues on all platforms.

thanks!
Alex