Re: Big picture regarding web programming possibilities

* Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> [100323 22:09]:
> On 03/23/2010 07:03 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
>> I now have some questions. Although I am a long-time web programmer,
>> I have not worked in enterprise - level projects, and I am
>> unfamiliar with java and tomcat. I hope that the questions I ask can
>> easily be answered and links to discussions would be sufficient.
>
> If you haven't already, I recommend skimming these links:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/server/auto-servlet.html
> http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/server/Tomcat-setup.html
> http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/XML-tools.html (and sub-nodes)
 Thank you.

>> 1)Reiterating that I know nothing about the tomcat server - is it
>> possible to use kawa script to
>>    a) access components of the tomcat server?
>>    or
>>    b) to modify the tomcat server, and then access said components?
>
> This sounds awfully vague.  You know nothing about Tomcat, and then
> you're asking about how you'd want to modify it?
  Never mind. The question assumes that tomcat had an API. Dumb question.

>> 2)Is it possible for me - using kawa - to build a custom server that
>> would serve up java that could be used by any programming language
>> to accomplish things?
  Just like the mysql server can be accessed via tcp/ip to serve up
  queries to any language. Yes I know most PLs use SO's but
  with rebol (at least) that is what I do.

> Again, I don't know what you mean.
>> Here's an example from another nice
>> programming language: the developer of *newlisp* has put together a
>> .jar file that listens on a port, accepts commands that (if
>> recognized) serves up gui methods. So, newlisp, which has no gui
>> functions, leverages java.
>
> Could you give me a link?  I haven't found that on newlisp.org.
 Docs here:
 http://www.newlisp.org/guiserver/guiserver.lsp.html
 I can send you a copy of guiserver.lsp if you like.

> You might find this interesting:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/gui/graphics.html
 OK.
> I started writing some adapters do you would use the same "gui
> constructors" that could be implemented either using Swing or
> using a web-browser, but I haven't had much time do much about
> that for a while.

  Please don't worry. I've got a full plate today. Thank you for the
  links. I will read them first before asking any other questions.
  Also, Per, no need to CC me on your replies (unless you really
  prefer to, of course)
  cheers
  P.S. How nice it is to actually hear for the developer!

--
Tim
tim@johnsons-web.com