Re: GSoC application advice for students

On 03/31/2012 08:05 PM, Jamison Hope wrote:
To anyone considering submitting an application to work on Kawa
for Google Summer of Code:

As one of the mentors, it seemed good to me to share some thoughts with
you.

What he wrote - thanks for writing this.

When it comes time to review proposals and choose which to accept, here's
what's going to happen:
1. Google will allocate N slots to the GNU project.
2. All of the different projects under the GNU umbrella [1] will fight for
one or more of those N slots. Note: there are 25 packages listed on the
GNU SOC ideas page, if I counted correctly; most likely, N will be < 25,
probably significantly so, and so we'll have to convince GNU folks
outside of the Kawa community to let us have even one of those slots.

At least that's what happened last year (though there were some issues then). -- --Per Bothner per@bothner.com http://per.bothner.com/