Re: GSOC | Extending Common Lisp support

Hello Charles,

On Apr 23, 2012, at 6:58 PM, Charles Turner wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for selecting me this year to work on extending the CL support.

Congratulations to you, sir! I'm excited to see Kawa Common Lisp getting some
attention again. We had one other GSoC application which was also focused on
implementing some Lisp functionality; it would have been great to see both
projects accepted, but we had to choose one.

My first task is to fix the scoping issues with my DECLARE
implementation, and then finish transliterating the scheme code in
PrimOps to CL. After that I will be working on iteration & sequences.
The final part of my proposal is the implementation of docstrings.

We already touched on this a little bit in a previous message, but: as you're working on this, I encourage you to strive to make things as broadly reusable as possible. For instance, you've got a "temporary hack" -- your words :) -- in Lisp2Compilation in that it calls Scheme.getNamedType() to map a string to a Type. That probably means that getNamedType() should be promoted from Scheme to LispLanguage. [Note that CommonLisp.java was already calling Scheme.getNamedType(), too.. getNamedType() really needs to move!]

OTOH, I don't want you to get too side-tracked coming up with a Grand
Plan to re-architect all of Kawa, so maybe just insert a FIXME comment
and move on. Use your own judgment. But you know what I mean - even though
your project is nominally about Common Lisp, if you're working on something
that would be handy for Scheme, too, (like docstrings) don't feel like you
have to stay within the gnu.commonlisp package.

I hope the list doesn't mind if I post my progress here, I'll try to
keep it in one thread so that you can filter the messages if it's
distracting. Most of communication in last years GSOC was private
email with the mentors, which I think was a shame.

Works for me.

Thanks again for the opportunity, I look forward to the summer ahead!

You're already off to a good start, so rather than say welcome, I will say keep it up!

Charles

-Jamie

--
Jamison Hope