Re: GSOC | Extending Common Lisp support

On 24 May 2012 22:35, Jamison Hope <jrh@theptrgroup.com> wrote:
> On May 24, 2012, at 4:24 AM, Charles Turner wrote:

> Will this matter? I'm no XML guy, [ ... ]

Me neither. I'll do whatever I'm told on this one. :-)

> I think I've mostly convinced myself that the lookup should stick with
> Strings, with LispLanguage#getNamedLispType(String name) changed to look
> something like this:

That looks nice to me! Thanks Jamison.

> If we stick with Strings, then we can (in principle, at least) reference
> types only defined by a particular lisp language. For example, from Scheme
> have |clisp:t| resolve to java.lang.Object, and from Emacs Lisp have
> |scheme:s8vector| resolve to gnu.lists.S8Vector, even though LispLanguage
> knows nothing of "t" or "s8vector".

I agree, this will make the "mixing lisps" ideal more convenient I suppose.

> Understood. Context switches are expensive for humans. I don't mean to be
> disturbing your study time right now, sorry!

No problem. My last exam was this morning, so I can focus more
attention on my project now.

>> PrimOps (which I renamed primitives.lisp, oops just realised I didn't
>> add this to my working copy) is finished. Other than a few return
>> types I may have omitted :-D

I'll send a diff for this soon.

> I'm not worried about you falling behind, but now that we've officially
> entered the GSOC coding period (as of the 21st), I want to make sure that
> you're primarily addressing the deliverables that you signed up for.

I understand. By the way, is DEFMACRO "safe" to use in CL? I remember
Per asking users to stop using it in Scheme (which makes sense given
the generative facilities there). DEFMACRO appears to work OK for some
simple macros, but is it known that DEFMACRO contains some dragons in
Kawa? Maybe I could start with DEFINE-SYNTAX to implement the
iterations forms? I'm a little confused as to where you'd prefer I
focused attention. Either I try to finish the string2Type, fromatType,
etc refactorings and figure out how to make the |clisp:t| stuff work,
or I move onto interation or sequences.

Thanks,
Charlie.