Re: Kawa 1.12 release condiate

On May 26, 2012, at 4:07 PM, Per Bothner wrote:

On 05/25/2012 01:35 AM, Per Bothner wrote:
Temporarily at:
http://per.bothner.com/tmp/kawa-1.12.tar.gz
http://per.bothner.com/tmp/kawa-1.12.jar

Has anyone either: (1) built and tested the source code in Java 5? (2) run and used the prebuilt jar on Java 5?

I just did both, quickly. The source compiled (via ant) without incident, and both that and the prebuilt jar seemed to run fine.

I'm looking at bundling JavaFX support in the prebuilt
kawa-1.12.jar.  I've also until now built the jar so
it can run on Java 5, while still supporting some Java 6
features.  Doing both in the same jar would require a
more complex rule (for dist-kawa-@VERSION@.jar in the
top-level Makefile).

So one option is dropping Java 5 compatibility in the
pre-built jar - while still (for now) supporting source
compilation using Java 5

I have no strong feelings either way, but the Getting Kawa section of the website should probably mention Java version requirements and that the source supports building on Java 5 even if the prebuilt jar requires 6.

--
Jamison Hope
The PTR Group