Re: (eval '(java.lang.System:nanoTime)) won't work

On 06/10/2013 07:14 PM, Morven Sun wrote:

> 在 2013-6-10 上午4:14,"Per Bothner" <per@bothner.com
> <mailto:per@bothner.com>>写道:
>>
>> Generic Scheme has a number of inconsistencies and awkward issues.
>>
> Well, really? I originally thought Scheme itself is quite complete as a
> lambda calculus implementation. To tell the truth I can't quite
> understand your statements here.
>
> I'm a little fond of scheme because of its pure form and I haven't read
> such articles about its inconsistent,may I ask you to show me some links
> about this?

Not necessarily "inconsistent".  However, people generally agree
there are some "warts" - things we wouldn't do if starting from
scratch.  An example is that the top-level is a bit strange - you
get a weird mix of static and dynamic scoping.  Some of us
think that mutable fix-length strings make no sense.  (In a
Unicode world, there is little point in modifying a string unless
you can also change its length.) And so on.

>> Right - the colon notation does that.  However, we want to make
>> it easy to "port" Scheme programs to Kawa.  Plus we want to make
>> it easy for people who are looking for "Scheme" (rather than "Kawa"),
>> but need/want to run on the Java platform.
>>

> Do you mean that kawa is not at first a scheme implementation? But in my
> case I came to kawa first because it's scheme,and then I found its power
> to manipulate the Java world which is fantastic!

Kawa is a dialect of Scheme.  It is mostly a superset of standard
Scheme, but with some changes and limitations.

> With nearly the the same approach to use Java and kawa's fast speed ,
> here I wander  why clojure is much more popular? For at first there are
> much more documents for Clojure than for Kawa!

I wonder too.  Better marketing is at least part of it.