Re: Switching from Subversion to Git

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> wrote:
> For now, I'm comfortable with Subversion.  I don't see a major benefit to
> switching. (Also, we'd lose the nice sequential commit numbers.)  What do
> you
> see as the major reason(s) to switch?

Microsoft recently moved their Typescript compiler from their own
hosting (Codeplex) to Github, and I've been following the activity.

Ever since the switch, I have found it much easier to follow the
discussions going on with the people working on the project. In fact,
because of the increased visibility, I've started contributing to the
project myself.

> If we switch, I prefer Mercurial to Git, mainly because I'm more familiar
> with it.  (Oracle uses Mercurial for their Java work.)
>
> If we start getting more people working on and contributing to Kawa, then we
> might consider switching to either Mercurial or Git.

I like Mercurial better than git as well, but as a place to build a
community, github really is quite advance. I suppose we can try
Bitbucket if you decide to switch.

Switching to one of the newer source control systems may be one way to
attract more people to contribute to Kawa.

--
Duncan.