Re: glibc-2.0.93 homebrew distribution tests

[Ulrich Drepper]
>[Andreas Jaeger]
>> Could you try to configure glibc with an argument of i586-linux to
>> force it to generate code for i586 (i586 code will run on i686 but not
>> the other way round)?
>
> That's not enough as I said before.  If the compiler was generated for
> i686 and it is not one of the recent egcs compilers (egcs 1-.03 is not
> recent in this aspect) you'll still end up with using i686 code from
> the bits/string.h header.  You must use -u__i686__ as an extra
> compiler option.

  In my case, I'm probably going to end up with a lowest-common-denominator
type of situation and compile everything for a i586.  Will compiling
gcc/binutils with a target of i586-pc-linux-gnu and then recompiling
glibc be satisfactory?
								--- john