Re: [Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>] Re: OFFTOPIC: e2fsprogs and +2Gb partitions

   From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de>
   Date: 16 Jun 1998 09:21:10 +0200

   I don't know if everybody here reads linux-kernel.  There's again a
   whole discussion about glibc, linux kernel headers and llseek.  I'm
   appending a word from Linus (not that I like it ;-).

   If anybody likes to have the whole thread so far, feel free to ask me
   directly.

   Andreas

It seems like it is time to remove all dependencies on linux/* asm/*
from glibc.  I have read some of Linus's recent messages about this
topic and I don't think we stand a chance in convincing him that he
should try to make at least some of the kernel headers namespace
clean.  He obviously doesn't do a lot of user-level development.

I volunteer to start working on it.  My idea is to first concentrate
on those headers that are known to have problems and those that are
used by the more essential parts of the library (socket/network code,
terminal ioctls).  The idea is to get rid of the /usr/include/linux
and /usr/include/asm directories entirely, and put all stuff that's
really necessary in the /usr/include/sys and /usr/include/bits
directories instead.

I know that this will trigger a lot of bug reports, but we will
finally be able to say that `#include <linux/blabla.h>' is wrong and
now we can use the very convincing argument that this is the way Linus
wants it.

Mark