Re: glibc-2.0.95 causes ls -al & ps -aux to segfault.

> hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu) writes:
>
> > That is not true. Under glibc, even the static binaries may use
> > the shared nss modules. Personally, I think it is bad since a static
> > binary may not be truly static.

It's better then then Sun solution: You couldn't use getpwuid and
such functions in static binaries.

> Static binaries should not be used at all.  I know this limitation
> exist but having a different behaviour for them (means, not using NSS
> in them) is most undesirable.

But we need static binaries for rpm, dpkg, ldconfig, sln, ...

> While installing glibc 2.1 we'll not remove the old nss modules.  This
> is left ot the system manager which could use the information from rpm
> or dpkg to see whether anything is using the modules.

The old nss modules are not binary compatible with glibc 2.1. You have
changed a lot of internal functions for parsing netgroups, etc for
NSS Version 2. This have not get a new elf symbol number. Upgrading a
glibc 2.0.7 rpm with a glibc 2.0.9x rpm gives some error messages,
and rpm doesn't work any longer correct after the upgrade.

I'm working on a add-on with the old NSS v1 interface, which uses the
new internal functions. But I have this problem with setting the
libnss_*so.1 -> libnss_*.so links.

  Thorsten
--
Thorsten Kukuk  kukuk@vt.uni-paderborn.de