pty problems under glibc 2.0.98

Hello,
   On linuxppc running Linux 2.1.125 built with egcs 1.1b
and glibc 2.0.98, I am seeing an interesting problem that
I think should be checked on other platforms running
glibc 2.0.98. If I build tcltk 8.0.3 (probably any 8.0.x
will do) and execute the make check in the expect build
directory I get an interesting error about no free ptys.
One can also create the error from within the tests directory
for the expect source code by executing expect and then
at the expect prompt typing

expect1.4> source all

The result is as follows...

cat.test

==== cat-1.1 basic cat operation
==== Contents of test case:

        exp_spawn cat -u
        exp_send "\r"
        set timeout 10
        expect \r {set x 1} timeout {set x 0}
        exp_close
        exp_wait
        set x

==== Test generated error:
The system has no more ptys.  Ask your system administrator to create more.
expect.test
The system has no more ptys.  Ask your system administrator to create more.
    while executing
"exp_spawn cat -u"
    (file "expect.test" line 13)
    invoked from within
"source $i"
    ("foreach" body line 3)
    invoked from within
"foreach i [lsort [glob *.test]] {
    puts stdout $i
    source $i
}"
    (file "all" line 6)
    invoked from within
"source all"

...does anyone know of any good test suites for exercising pty's? Thanks
in advance.
              Jack

Jack W. Howarth, Ph.D.                                     231 Bethesda Avenue
NMR Facility Director                              Cincinnati, Ohio 45267-0524
Dept. of Molecular Genetics                              phone: (513) 558-4420
Univ. of Cincinnati College of Medicine                    fax: (513) 558-8474