Re: Symbol versioning question

Steve> hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu) writes:

>> glibc 2.1 is still in beta. I added those popen stuff to fix a bug.
>> You may have to recompile all the libraries against the new glibc
>> 2.1.

Steve> I thought this was the case.  I just wanted to make sure it was correct
Steve> behaviour for "ld" to not see that the "popen@@GLIBC_2.0" symbol was
Steve> made available by "libc.so.6".  (It essentially was claiming that a
Steve> symbol which was there didn't exist.)
popen's default version has been changed from 2.0 to 2.1:

1998-11-21  H.J. Lu  <hjl@gnu.org>

	* libio/Versions (_IO_popen, _IO_proc_open, _IO_proc_close,
	popen, pclose): Add to GLIBC_2.1.

Steve> I assume there is a technical reason why ld doesn't or shouldn't know
Steve> about the existence of the older symbol?

You're right.  This is needed for compatibility with glibc 2.0.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de
  for pgp-key finger ajaeger@aixd1.rhrk.uni-kl.de