Re: glibc2.1 not binary compatible with 2.0

>  > We are unable to get our programs working on the pre-release of RedHat 6.0,
>  > because glibc2.1 is not binary compatible with 2.0.
>
>  > Has this been seen already? Is there a fix?
>  > We have example fully-debugged 2.0 binaries that don't work with 2.1 if
>  > anyone is interested in seeing it.
>
>  > Thanks.
>
> Please explain exactly what you mean.  We've resolved some (all?)
> known incompatibilities but without further details, I can't say
> anything.

We have binaries that were compiled on a glibc2.0 system (RH 5.1). They
were dynamically linked against all of the system libraries. What may be
causing difficulty, is that we have been forced to use gcc/g++ 2.7.2.3
instead of egcs because of the egcs's thunks bug. As a result, we are using
the older libstdc++ library. We tried re-compiling everything (gcc, g++,
libstdc++, libg++...) on the glibc2.1 system, but that didn't work either.
Everything just seg-faults.

> Btw. did you read the glibc2.1 FAQ, especially:
> 2.27.   What needs to be recompiled when upgrading from glibc 2.0 to glibc
>         2.1?

We're using a glibc2.0 dynamically linked binary, which seems to me should
work according to the FAQ.

Thanks for your quick response.

Glenn W. Bach
PMA Network/Systems Manager