Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 14:41:31 -0400
From: sba@srl.caltech.edu
To: bugs@gnu.org
Subject: libc/1161: Unable to get nscd to work

>Number:         1161
>Category:       libc
>Synopsis:       Unable to get nscd to work
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
After attempting to compile glibc-2.1.1 with several versions of egcs
(1.1.2 and later), I have been unable to get a version of nscd that works.
Either I attempt to compile glibc-2.1.1 with -O3 which fails to even compile
with most (all?) versions of egcs between 1.1.2 and the latest 2.95 prerelease,
or I compile with -O and get a copy of nscd that has increadibly poor
performance:

> If I un-tar a file like glibc-2.1.1pre3.tar.gz which has files
> owned by unknown users (on my system), nscd -d goes into a loop generating:
>
> 852:    GETPWBYNAME (drepper)
> 852: handle_request: request received (Version = 2)
> 852:    GETPWBYNAME (drepper)
> 852: handle_request: request received (Version = 2)
> 852:    GETPWBYNAME (drepper)
> 852: handle_request: request received (Version = 2)
> 852:    GETPWBYNAME (drepper)
>
> until eventually after ~1min the first file is written to disk,
> and everything repeats for the next file, i.e., it is generating
> thousands of these messages per file rather than just 1.
>
> With several copies of nscd running in the background (without -d) you
> can see them all (and tar) eating up all the CPU cycles just trying to
> extract the first file from the tarball.
>How-To-Repeat:
Attempt to compile glibc-2.1.1 on a RH6.0 alpha system with -O3 and watch it crash-n-burtn

Try running nscd compiled with -O and watch it go into a spin loop when it
tries to cache and unknown user name when untarring some tar file from the net

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 15:20:01 -0400
From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de>
To: libc-gnats@gnu.org
Cc: gnats-admin@gnu.org
Subject: Re: libc/1161: Unable to get nscd to work

The following reply was made to PR libc/1161; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de>
To: sba@srl.caltech.edu
Cc: bugs@gnu.org
Date: 12 Jun 1999 21:03:14 +0200

 >> Number:         1161
 >> Category:       libc
 >> Synopsis:       Unable to get nscd to work

 Which Linux kernel version are you running?

 sba> After attempting to compile glibc-2.1.1 with several versions of egcs
 sba> (1.1.2 and later), I have been unable to get a version of nscd that works.
 egcs has AFAIK some bugs on alpha and so far nobody looked into fixing
 them :-(

 sba> Either I attempt to compile glibc-2.1.1 with -O3 which fails to even compile
 sba> with most (all?) versions of egcs between 1.1.2 and the latest 2.95 prerelease,
 sba> or I compile with -O and get a copy of nscd that has increadibly poor
 sba> performance:

 >> If I un-tar a file like glibc-2.1.1pre3.tar.gz which has files
 >> owned by unknown users (on my system), nscd -d goes into a loop generating:
 Can you reproduce this in your ix86 machine?

 Andreas
 --
  Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de
   for pgp-key finger ajaeger@aixd1.rhrk.uni-kl.de

------------------------------
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:22:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: sba@srl.caltech.edu (Stuart Anderson)
To: Andreas Jaeger <aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de>

According to Andreas Jaeger:

> >> Number:         1161
> >> Category:       libc
> >> Synopsis:       Unable to get nscd to work
>
> Which Linux kernel version are you running?

2.2.7

> sba> After attempting to compile glibc-2.1.1 with several versions of egcs
> sba> (1.1.2 and later), I have been unable to get a version of nscd that works.
> egcs has AFAIK some bugs on alpha and so far nobody looked into fixing
> them :-(

bummer.

> sba> Either I attempt to compile glibc-2.1.1 with -O3 which fails to even compile
> sba> with most (all?) versions of egcs between 1.1.2 and the latest 2.95 prerelease,
> sba> or I compile with -O and get a copy of nscd that has increadibly poor
> sba> performance:
>
> >> If I un-tar a file like glibc-2.1.1pre3.tar.gz which has files
> >> owned by unknown users (on my system), nscd -d goes into a loop generating:
> Can you reproduce this in your ix86 machine?

No, this problem does NOT exist on my ix86 machines which where running
as identical as is possible versions of RH/kernel/libc/egcs/...

A while back I received a response from Thorsten Kukuk (of Linux/NIS+ fame)
that you had to compile glibc with -O3 to avoid some egcs bugs on the
Alpha, but I haven't had as much luck as he has had with that. However,
my last correspondence from him was that his nscd on an Alpha box was
crashing as well.

Both of the bug reports I put in today are the result of trying to run
both Intel and Alpha boxes as NIS+ clients on a predominantly Sun network.
My only remaining problem is getting a good stable nscd on both platforms.

- -
Stuart Anderson  sba@srl.caltech.edu  http://www.srl.caltech.edu/personnel/sba

End of forwardK8Hes2 Digest