Re: [artdodge@cs.bu.edu] libc/1220: The code in resolv/res_send.cis not thread-safe

On 24 Jul 1999, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Mark Kettenis <kettenis@wins.uva.nl> writes:
>
> > The resolver is indeed not thread safe.  This is a known issue, and
> > not easy to solve.
>
> I think the existing res_send code can be made thread-safe.

I can see a straightforward hack that would do it.  Basically, keep all
socket state (s, connected, vc) within the scope of res_send(), and be
sure to close it/clean it up at all exit points.

Alternately, I'm wondering if anyone can trade notes with me about what
issues would be involved plugging in the BIND 8.2.1 code?  I built its
libbind_r.a and used that instead of the glibc2.0.6 libresolv.so, and it
seems to be more-or-less working out-of-the-box...

Thanks,
Adam
--
Your lives aren't small, but    \ Adam Davenport Bradley,  Grad Student
you're living them in a small    \ Boston University   Computer Science

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature so I can spread!!