resolv 8.2 : per-thread internal data

Hi all,

I'm working on integrating the BIND 8.2 resolver into glibc2.1 and 2.2.
This new version uses a per-thread data structure (similar to errno or
h_errno) called "_res".  The clean way to implement this is to attach the
structure to the end of linuxthreads/internals.h:_pthread_descr_struct and
access it just as errno et al are accessed, but that would be a binary
interface change so I assume a patch doing so would be unacceptable for
2.1.

First, would such a change be acceptable for 2.2?

Second, for an "acceptable" 2.1 patch, what is the preferred way of
creating/setting/accessing thread-specific data (like pthread_getspecific
et al) without requiring a link against libpthread?  Do I need to (as
BIND 8.2 does) build this myself, or is there a useful primitive already
in place?

Thanks,
Adam
--
Your lives aren't small, but    \ Adam Davenport Bradley,  Grad Student
you're living them in a small    \ Boston University   Computer Science

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature so I can spread!!