Binary compatibility between glibc 2.1.0/2.1.1 and 2.1.2 ?

Looking at all those GLIBC_2.1.2 versions in the different Versions
files of glibc 2.1.2, I'm not sure how compatible the different
libraries are.  From an increase in the last digit (e.g. from 2.1.1 to
2.1.2) I would expect that you can switch without problems between the
releases - and others might have the same impression.

So, my questions are:
- does every library compiled for glibc 2.1.2 work for 2.1.1 and 2.1?
- does every binary linked against libraries from glibc 2.1.2 and
  libraries linked against glibc 2.1.2 run on a glibc 2.1 and 2.1.1
  system?
- the other way round: does every library compiled for 2.1.1 and 2.1
  work with 2.1.2?
- does every binary linked against libraries from glibc 2.1/2.1.1 and
  against libraries linked against glibc 2.1/2.1.1 run on a glibc
  2.1.2 system?

If the answer is "no" to one of the questions, could you please
elaborate a wee bit?

Jürgen reported privatly to me some problems in this area and
therefore I'd like to get answers to the questions.  I hope Jürgen
comes up with a detailed description of the problems he noticed.

Thanks,
Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de