Re: Binary compatibility between glibc 2.1.0/2.1.1 and 2.1.2 ?

Juergen Kreileder <kreilede@issan.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

|> IMHO this is inconvenient: Doesn't that mean that every time glibc
|> introduces a new symbol version (like the GLIBC_2.1 sem_* versions in
|> glibc 2.1.2) you'll have to upgrade all libraries that use the old
|> versions because otherwise you can't use these libraries for
|> development anymore.

Yes.  Symbol versioning is only for *run* time compatibility, not for
*link* time compatibility (which you can never get in a general way
besides explicitly compiling and linking against the old library).

|> Binaries linked with the old versions still work.  This looks somehow
|> inconsequent because they use the buggy old versions.

That's is ok, because the new version will be binary incompatible in some
way, otherwise we would not have introduced the new version.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab                                  "And now for something
schwab@suse.de                                   completely different."