Re: IPv6/getipnodebyname() Q:

>around on their desktops.  Was it slackware that finally went libc6
>just a short time ago?  Versions of glibc-2.0.x and -2.1.x is going to
>be around for years and we have to deal with it.

Glibc 2.0 has no support for IPv6, pretty much.  It probably doesn't even
define struct sockaddr_in6, so assuming you have some autoconf-like mechanism
to decide whether IPv6 is supported there probably isn't anything difficult
here.

Glibc 2.1 does have some IPv6 support.  The reason it is not complete is that
the API has been changing rapidly over the past year or so.  Functions like
getipnodebyname are relatively recent additions and nobody had time to write
the support between the time the API was changed and the time glibc 2.1 was
frozen.  It is now in the development sources of what will become glibc 2.2.

Name lookup aside, I think the IPv6 support in the current release of glibc
2.1 ought to be functional enough for most people.  The getaddrinfo function
does provide working IPv6 name lookup, though possibly not in the form you
want.

p.