[Various] libc/1295: *.so.map files not found

Sean sent us the appended bug report on glibc 2.1.2.  It's already the
third time this weekend I've heard about this kind of problem.  I'm
therefore including Marty and Alexander who reported AFAIK the same
problem.

Has anybody a clue what goes wrong here?

Sean, Marty and Alexander,
the *map are generated very early in a glibc compilation by
scripts/versions.awk.  Could you try to check
- if the script is called at all?
- why it doesn't produce the files?

Thanks,
Andreas