Re: [Various] libc/1336: Problem building JDK 1.2.1 with glibc 2.1.2

   Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 17:05:11 +0100
   From: Kars de Jong <jongk@linux-m68k.org>

   > My guess is that in the versioning information in ttcp, somehow the
   > dependency on libpthread is recorded, while no DT_NEEDED entry for
   > libpthread is included.  Could you try to figure out if this is indeed
   > the case Kars?

   Looks like a Bingo! to me:

It seems a bit strange that ld is producing DT_VERNEED entries for
libraries it is not producing DT_NEEDED entries for.  Maybe the
generation of DT_VERNEED entries should force the generation of a
DT_NEEDED entry.

Otherwise, we could turn the assertion into a warning message, and
hope that the problem triggers a fatal error of some sort.  In your
case that would certainly happen since one of the libraries for which
the program has a DT_NEEDED entry could not be found.

Mark