Re: Linux vs. libio

> Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> writes:
>
> > I don't really see the need to debate this -- it's a fact of life that we
> > have to deal with this braindamage.

Ulrich Drepper:
> You don't want any discussion but still insist on insulting other
> people.  Very strange.  Plus that you keep saying this does mean you
> haven't spend a second thinking about it.

C++ was known to be volatile when libio was written.
The compatibility issues we have now could have been avoided if the API
of libio had been designed to use plain C.

Well, now that the damage is done, how about introducing an attribute
for functions and structures that the old ABI is to be used.
The header files that declare libio functions and structures for other
code to use could bear this attribites, so that we can freeze the libio
API while the default ABI changes.