Re: glibc-2.1 on PowerPC cannot disable floating-point

David Edelsohn wrote:

>         Was there a reason that the PowerPC port did not utilize the "fpu"
> structure of other ports (e.g., alpha, arm, i386, m68k, and sparc)?  Can
> the floating-point functionality be moved into an "fpu" subdirectory so
> that it follows the structure of other ports and can be disabled?

I dont know why it was made the way it is but I guess that powerpc always had an
FPU. I'am also interested in a version that can be compiled without FPU. I did a
few changes and got it to compile but I never had the time to get it right. I and
Geoff Keating had a discussion about it back in november I think.

The work involved dose not look to be that much and Geoff who knows the internals
of glibc could probably do it in hours. Myself  I'am probably in the weeks
category. Apart from a less than complet understanding of the build system I also
have a hard time testing what I make as I dont have any working PowerPc system.