Re: struct stat

"David A. Greene" <greened@eecs.umich.edu> writes:

> Umm...Wait a second.  dev_t is supposed to be an integral type.  It
> isn't if you're not using gcc.  This is broken.

It means that glibc is GCC specific.  I really don't think this is a
problem.  I'm sorry if you want to compile it with some other
compiler, but it's not our priority to support other compilers.
Perhaps if you are doing compiler-related research, you can add this
to the list of things that you are learning: that there are important
reasons to support more than just minimal C in a compiler.

glibc contains many other GNU toolchain specific things.  It requires
the availability of weak bindings, something not part of the
standard.  The Hurd code makes extensive use of nested functions, also
most certainly not part of the standard.  We frequently use other
minor GCC extensions, like zero-length and automatic arrays, inline
functions, and so forth.

Incidentally, will the fruits of your work be free software?

Thomas