Re: Processor specific code in glibc

kthomas@gwdg.de (Philipp Thomas) writes:

> Jeff Law's opinion was that -mcpu=k6 should not predefine any other
> ix86 but that would mean that glibc would have to be changed where
> necessary. Jeff said your input as glibc maintainer was needed, which
> I hereby request :)

If the K6 is sufficently close to the i586 (for all code generation
and instruction set points) gcc should define i586 in addition to
special AMD symbols.  Otherwise we simply would have to duplicate a
lot of information.

If the processors differ far enough defining i586 is not a good idea.
But guessing from your mail I would say this is not the case and
therefore i586 should be defined.