Re: Questions about linuxthreads Patch

On 5 Jan 2000, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Date: 05 Jan 2000 10:50:41 +0100
> From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de>
> Cc: Kaz Kylheku <kaz@ashi.footprints.net>
> Subject: Questions about linuxthreads Patch
>

> Uli,
>
> you added without a proper ChangeLog (the ChangeLog entry from Kaz is
> broken!) AFAIK the following changes to linuxthreads/internal.h in

It's broken because it doesn't list every file that was changed, correct?

> But struct _pthread_descr_struct has the following comment:
>   /* New elements must be added at the end.  */

Doh! Ouch. Kill me now.

I'm very sorry about this breakage.  Thanks for catching it!

> Should those three elements really be added in the middle and not at
> the end?  Wouldn't this break compatibility?

The changes would break compatibilitity with programs that attach to an
application and walk the LinuxThreads structures (like GDB).  The structure
itself, however, does not affect binary compatibility with LinuxThreads
applications, since it is not visible in the interface.