Re: Problems with exception handling in glibc and gcc.

> Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 16:18:14 -0700
> From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>

> On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 11:58:57AM -0700, Geoff Keating wrote:

> > Anyway, I believe that any problems you're seeing are most likely
> > caused by the new dwarf opcode, DW_CFA_def_cfa_expression, being used
> > by mistake on an existing target (like x86).  You could place a
> > breakpoint in this chunk of code in dwarf2out.c:
> >

> That won't be easy since it only happens with libstdc++-v3. I don't
> know which .o file is miscompiled, nor I have the time to track it
> down.

Just put an abort() where I suggested, do 'make bootstrap', and see
where the build stops.  It's easy.

> However, since frame_state is changed, I am not sure if the old frame.o
> from the previous libgcc.a linked into the shared glibc will work
> with the _eh.o from the new libgcc.a. The exception ABI has changed
> due to frame_state, but I don't see anything for backward
> compatility.

Sigh.  Yes, that change has to be reverted or dealt with somehow.

> We should have learned the lesson when last time we did it in Dec.
> 1997. We had a lengthy discussion then. I am not sure if any messages

It's happened several times since.  It's quite annoying.  Perhaps we
could put a comment in there to stop this happening?
--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@cygnus.com>